Researchers have developed a number of theories to explain motivation, and each theory contributes to a better understanding of motivation. In this module, you have read about drive reduction and arousal theory, behavioral and social-cognitive theories, and Maslow’s Hierarchy of Needs. In this activity, you will write a 3-5 page essay that .
- Describe how psychologists define and classify motivation, and evaluate various theories that explain motivation.
- Discuss eating behavior, eating disorders, and factors that contribute to individual differences in body weight.
- Explore how sexual attitudes and behavior vary across cultures and genders.
- Review recent research related to sexual orientation and how attitudes toward homosexuality have changed in recent years.
- Describe the four phases of the human sexual response cycle.
Step 1: Review and research.
Review the assigned reading for this module and do some Internet and/or library research about different theories of motivation. It is recommended that you conduct research through our Online Library (Links to an external site.) or use a scholarly internet search. Wikipedia is not allowed.
Step 2: Write a paper.
Write a 3-5 page paper that discusses motivation and the leading theories that explain it. Consider the following:
- What is motivation? Discuss its definition and different components.
- What are motives? Explain the different types of motives.
- Discuss biological approaches (theories) to motivation.
- Discuss behavioral and social-cognitive theories of motivation.
- Explain Maslow’s Hierarchy of Needs.
- Which level of Maslow’s hierarchy provides the strongest motivation for your behavior in general? Support your answer.
- The use of outside resources is strongly recommended, and all papers must include citations and be written in current APA format.
- It is recommended that you conduct research through our Online Library (Links to an external site.) or use a scholarly internet search. Wikipedia is not allowed.