Assignment 9.1: Persuasion through Evidence
- DueFeb 9 by9:59pm
- Submittinga text entry box or a file upload
- AvailableNov 24, 2019 at 10pm – Feb 9 at 9:59pm3 months
Students will create the fifth part of their research manuscript.
- Evaluate the truth and validity of an argument.
- Argue a position on a significant issue pertaining to your chosentopic for your research manuscript. Your claim should be clearly statedwith adequate support. Consider other perspectives when making yourposition and clearly show why you believe your position is more logical,sensible, useful, or appealing than the opposition’s viewpoint.
- Use print sources, electronic sources, and – if possible – an interview with an informed individual to support your claims.
- On a page separate from your paper, identify the audience to whomyou are addressing your argument and explain why members will benefitfrom understanding your position.
- Within the paper, or in an accompanying note, explain why the issueis important to you so that your classmates and instructor can be awareof the nature of your expertise and any possible biases.
- Make sure to apply the information found in your lectures and readings.
- The use of outside resources is strongly recommended and all papers must be cited and written in APA format.
- Once you have completed the assignment, click the Submit Assignmentoption in the menu to the right and select a format for submitting yourassignment.
- Click the Submit Assignment button when you are ready.
Writing Assignments Rubric_2017
Writing Assignments Rubric_2017
This criterion is linked to a Learning OutcomeAssignment Ideas
18.0ptsIdeasare clear, insightful, thought-provoking, and focused so that theyconsistently support the topic, thesis and audience for the paper.
15.0ptsIdeasare clear and focused to support the topic and a clearly-stated centralidea, but are not consistently insightful or thought-provoking.
12.0ptsIdeas are clear but conventional or general, and support the topic, thesis, and audience for the paper.
9.0ptsIdeasare unclear or clichéd and demonstrate a lack of focus in support of thetopic or a central idea, which may be vague or missing.
This criterion is linked to a Learning OutcomeAssignment Development
18.0ptsDevelopmentis fresh, with abundant details and examples that arouse audienceinterest and provide relevant, concrete, specific and insightfulevidence in support of sound logic.
15.0ptsDevelopmentis adequate, but may lack depth, with details and examples that arouseaudience interest and provide relevant, concrete, specific evidence insupport of sound logic.
12.0ptsDevelopmentis sufficient but general, providing adequate but perhaps notinteresting details, examples, and evidence that include no logicalfallacies or unsupported claims.
9.0ptsDevelopmentis insufficient, providing scarce or inappropriate details, evidence,and examples that may include logical fallacies or unsupported claims.
This criterion is linked to a Learning OutcomeOrganization
18.0ptsOrganizationis coherent, unified and effective in support of the paper’s purpose/plan and consistently demonstrates effective and appropriate rhetoricaltransitions between ideas and paragraphs.
15.0ptsOrganizationis coherent, unified and effective in support of the paper’s purpose/plan and usually demonstrates effective and appropriate rhetoricaltransitions between ideas and paragraphs
12.0ptsOrganizationis coherent and unified overall in support of the essay’s purpose/plan, but is ineffective at times and may demonstrate abrupt or weaktransitions between ideas or paragraphs.
9.0ptsOrganizationis confused and fragmented in support of the essay’s purpose/ plan anddemonstrates a lack of structure or coherence that negatively affectsreadability.
This criterion is linked to a Learning OutcomeStyle & Mechanics
18.0ptsReadableand rhetorically effective in tone, incorporating varied sentencestructure, precise word choice and correct grammar, spelling andpunctuation. (Mastery of style)
15.0ptsStyleis readable and rhetorically effective in tone, incorporating variedsentence structure, effective word choice, and correct grammar, spellingand punctuation. (Effective style)
12.0ptsStyleis readable, but unremarkable in tone, sometimes including a lack ofsentence variety effective word choice, or some distracting, but notserious, errors in grammar, spelling and punctuation. (Readable butinconsistent style)
9.0ptsStyleis incoherent or inappropriate in tone, including a lack of sentencevariety, ineffective or inappropriate word choice, and serious errors ingrammar, spelling and punctuation. (Ineffective style)
This criterion is linked to a Learning OutcomeFormat
18.0ptsFormat is correct, meets all assignment directions, and works expertly to support the essay’s purpose/plan.
15.0ptsFormat is correct, meets all assignment directions, and works generally to support the essay’s purpose/plan.
12.0 ptsFormatis mostly correct, meets critical aspects of assignment directions, andworks mostly to support the essay’s purpose/ plan.
9.0ptsFormat is faulty, does not meet sufficient aspects of the assignment direction, and does not support the essay’s purpose/ plan.